Sunday, July 15, 2012

The blog  challenge is :
Tell us about one (or two, or a few) of the classrooms you have had over the years. Not the kids, the ROOMS. What have you  loved? What have you hated? How did you FEEL in the space? What did you DO with the space that, looking back, seems ridiculous? Or brilliant? We all spend so much time in our classrooms, we really do develop a relationship with the physical space. Tell us about that (those) relationship(s)\

I have been in  the same room since I started back teaching.... I took a long break while my children were growing up (they are 20 and 22 now) There are things I like and do not like about it.  It is not a regular shape for a kindergarten. It is now wide but it is long and it only has one  large area rug in front of my smart board.  I have purchased some smaller rugs for the room but  am not able to cover the floor.  Some things I do like about my room are the windows, lots and lots of window and sun, I am right by the playground and  the  black top for play.  I am the farthest room from the the front of the building.  When everything is set up I feel open and happy and most of all comfortable.  When people come to my room they always comment about how open and inviting it is. I want the kinders to feel that way as well.  One thing I do before the first day is to stand in different areas of the room and make sure I can see  all that is happening.  No hidden spots. I want to make sure the kinders have room to move around  freely and get to the things they need easily.  When school gets started my room tends to get a bit unorganized.  Organization is not one of my . I am always looking for ways to help me with this so if there are any tips out there make sure to share.   I looked in my class one morning last week to get my brain working on how to try and organize it this year.The floors are done and the  custodians have set my tables back in the room.  Now I need to see how they need to be moved.  As a kid I moved every year of my life and my favorite part of the move was unpacking and setting up my room.  I guess that is why it doesn't bother me to have to do this each year.  It is my time to reflect on what worked the year before and what did not. 
Strengths



I wish my room was wider and fully carpeted  but I am I can make a happy space no matter what the shape or size.  Once my room is set for the year it gets moved around during the year till I am happy with it.  Can't wait to get started.  My ideas are already starting. Let the fun begin!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment